Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Digital Television Switch

I don’t have cable. Actually, I can’t have cable. I live in the country and we can’t get cable on our side of the road. Seriously. But, we can get Direct TV or any other satellite television. All of that aside, I just refuse to pay to watch television.

This digital switch is making me crazy and I’m trying so hard not to cave. I have converter boxes and before the switch, I watched digital TV from time to time and it worked perfectly. Now, some days I’m watching puzzle faced people. Some channels come in perfectly in the morning and then are scrambled at night. Some channels get signals at certain times of the day and not at others. I’m not too bothered by it right now because all I watch in the morning is the CBS local news to get the weather. Since it’s summer, my favorite shows are reruns and I don’t really care about seeing them. Besides, I have every episode of those shows on DVD. I record and watch them during the regular season.

I really do have a serious resolve on this issue and I am determined not to give in, but come fall, I may have a problem. See, if Law & Order: SVU or Private Practice don’t come in clearly I will not be a happy camper. I can miss anything else on television; even the news because I can read it on the internet; but I seriously do not function well if I miss SVU or Private Practice. They (the evil demi-gods of digital television) better get this thing straight before the new season of either of my shows starts! If not, I may have to take down from my convictions and pay for stupid Direct TV; but I’m willing to make that sacrifice for my two most beloved television shows.

Yeah, yeah, yeah…I’ve heard it all before; Private Practice is a trashy night-time soap opera and SVU is sick and twisted. I like those shows. Besides, I am a fan of Amy Brenneman, Audra McDonald, Taye Diggs, Tamara Tunie, Mariska Hargitay and Dann Florek (I think it’s cool that his first name is spelled with two “N”s). I usually pride myself on spelling, but a couple of those names may be wrong. Anyway…you get the point. I’m sure there’s something inherently wrong with me watching those shows [insert sigh and eye roll], but they’re kinda my vice. I figure if I’m going to have a vice; and with my personality it’s almost certain that I will; SVU and Private Practice aren’t the worst ones out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have left the comment option open to anyone; I do however have the final say as to whether or not a comment will be posted. I'm not opposed to friendly debating, but let's all keep it respectful. I am not afraid of differing opinions, but name calling and nastiness is not permitted. Oh, and please leave the "snark" to me. ;)