Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Harriet Edmond, A True Titus 2 Woman




When I first met Harriet Edmond, I was struck by her poise, beauty, royal stature and regal carriage.  As I got to know her I quickly learned that behind that warm, beautiful smile was an equally warm, beautiful spirit and a soul totally dedicated and committed to The Lord. Cousin Harriet, as I called her, possessed a quality that would make any younger woman (and probably many of her own peers) say; “I want to be like her”.  I always found something about Cousin Harriet’s presence that commanded respect and order, and there was never a time that I was with her that I didn’t come away better. Her way with me was quiet, caring and insightful.  I clearly remember a Saturday evening in March 2003 when she took me by my hand and said to me; “I can’t wait to come to your wedding.”  I chuckled then because I had no prospects, and for the record, I’m still not married. But when I was contemplating marriage a few years ago, the names of Nathan and Harriet Edmond were among the first on my list of honored guests. Cousin Harriet’s name is also on a list of women I’d planned to interview for a book I’m writing about mentorship and the Titus 2 Woman. Cousin Harriet embodied that Titus 2 model.  On the rare, but treasured occasions that I was able to spend time with her, watching her life was an excellent example of what it means to be a true Woman of God. There was no pretense with Cousin Harriet. She was who she was; and who she was has always been a perfect lady and a strong, admirable woman.  Though we didn’t talk to or see each other often, I loved Cousin Harriet dearly and felt loved by her. 

Cousin Nathan, Nathan, Jr., Erica and the rest of the family; as difficult as this must be, and I won’t pretend to know how you feel; please find some comfort in knowing that you were loved and cherished by one of the most wonderful women on this earth. And rest assured her legacy will live on. It will live on in you, her family, because of the richness with which she has left you. And it will live on in me, because her passing has made me even more determined to be the kind of woman she was.  The kind of woman whose love for and commitment to Christ was evident to everyone fortunate enough to come in contact with her. The kind of woman who left an indelible impression on the lives of everyone with whom she spoke. The kind of woman who left an unforgettable deposit in the life of anyone over whom she spoke a word. The kind of woman who lived the life she preached. The kind of woman who lived for God and is now able to spend Eternity with Him.  Being that kind of woman, the kind of woman Harriet Yvonne Abbey Edmond was, is the best way I can think of to honor her life, her memory and her legacy.  I love you, my extended and far away family.  And Cousin Harriet, I love you and am blessed to have been loved by you. Somewhere down the road, I’ll see you in Eternity where there will be no goodbyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have left the comment option open to anyone; I do however have the final say as to whether or not a comment will be posted. I'm not opposed to friendly debating, but let's all keep it respectful. I am not afraid of differing opinions, but name calling and nastiness is not permitted. Oh, and please leave the "snark" to me. ;)