Wednesday, September 30, 2015

I FEEL SOMETHING


I feel something powerful, something energizing, something wonderful.  I feel sisterhood.  I’ve always had dependable, loyal friends, but lately I feel a deeper connection to my melanin kissed sisters.  It’s in the way we greet each other, the way we complement each other’s hair, do each other’s make up, celebrate each other’s successes and mourn each other’s losses.  It’s in the way we readily, happily, excitedly claim Misty Copeland. It’s in the way we vehemently defend Serena Williams. It’s in the pride we all felt when Viola Davis, Uzo Aduba and Regina King accepted their Emmys and the way we shouted and screamed and applauded that amazing acceptance speech of Viola’s. I’ve never heard anything like it in my life!  It’s in the way Taraji rejoiced with her sisters when they won. It was in Kerry Washington’s tears. It’s in the way we sit around each other’s tables, or family rooms, or beauty salons and talk.  It’s in the way we laugh over silly text messages or shout one another out on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.  It’s in our sharing of pictures of the stunning First Lady of these United States when she wore the hell out of that black dress at the State Dinner for the President of China.  She SLAYED it! It’s in the way we get together for dinner or lunch or breakfast or coffee or drinks. It’s in the way we gather to go to movies so we can see people who look like us on the big screen.  It’s in the way we seek each other out for advice and in the way we unselfishly give it.  It’s in the way we encourage and support. It’s in the way we lovingly correct. It’s in the way we administer tough love and in the way we take it.  It’s in the way we hug, in the way we kiss each other’s cheek, give each other dap and in the way we smile.  It’s in the way we prod each other toward excellence and in the way we make opportunities for those coming up behind us.  It’s in the way we sigh, in the way we fight (not each other), in the way we buck the system and in the way we both command and demand respect.  It’s in the way we rock our fros, locs, braids, relaxers, weaves and wigs. It’s in the way we love, it’s in the way we breathe, it’s in the way we live, it’s in the way we look.

 I feel sisterhood and I love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have left the comment option open to anyone; I do however have the final say as to whether or not a comment will be posted. I'm not opposed to friendly debating, but let's all keep it respectful. I am not afraid of differing opinions, but name calling and nastiness is not permitted. Oh, and please leave the "snark" to me. ;)