Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Forsaken?

I know it's late, but here is something else I wrote for our Good Friday Service.

“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

He cried out to His Father at that ninth hour.  Jesus knew this day would come. He knew that he would die at Calvary.  Still, in the midst of the unbearable pain, he cried to His Father, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”.   Had God forsaken His Son, Jesus as He hung there on The Cross?  No, of course not. God never leaves nor forsakes us.  Our sin, however can make us feel that way.  At that moment, Jesus was bearing the sin of the world. Every sin ever committed and every sin that would ever be committed. Every wrong thing done by you and by me.  It was the weight of that sin that made Jesus feel separated from God.

Isaiah 59:2 reminds us that our iniquities separate us from God and our sins have hidden his face from us, so that he will not hear.  That explains us, but what about Jesus?  He was sinless. Scripture tells us that he knew no sin.  Maybe that’s why he felt forsaken by God.  His own sin hadn’t separated him from God, but the weight of the sin of the world, my sin and yours made him feel far from The Father. 

So it is with us.  Our sin separates us from God.  God doesn’t forsake us; we forsake him when we live in a way contrary to His Word and His Commands. So, when we feel separated from God and He seems far from us, we have no right to ask as Jesus did; “My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?”  Rather the cry from our anguished soul would be, “My God, My God, why have I forsaken you?”

Thank God for Jesus and that because of His Sacrifice on The Cross, we do not have to face eternal separation.  Romans 5:8-9 makes this clear.  “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.  Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him! “  Jesus was  wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.  Jesus accepted the temporary feeling of abandonment by The Father for our sakes; let us not waste the ultimate Gift of Salvation by foolishly taking for granted the Grace of God.  Let us be mindful, today and forever of the words of the Apostle Paul in Romans 5 “For if, when we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! 11 Not only is this so, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.” Reconciliation means unless we so foolishly will, we never have to be separated from God. All because Jesus shed His Blood…on Calvary



No comments:

Post a Comment

I have left the comment option open to anyone; I do however have the final say as to whether or not a comment will be posted. I'm not opposed to friendly debating, but let's all keep it respectful. I am not afraid of differing opinions, but name calling and nastiness is not permitted. Oh, and please leave the "snark" to me. ;)